Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 7 Contemplation at the start

TransRockies 2008 Review
August 17, 2008
Afterthoughts

50 years old today. Ouch! 5 TransRockies completed. Ouch! Ouch! Where to go from here?

I would like to take my hat off to the TR organization this year for stepping up and improving the overall product from a disappointing 2007. The course was significantly harder, perhaps the hardest yet. The food was stellar unlike last year’s European gruel. The camaraderie was again excellent and is what I think separates this race from all the others that I have competed in. The fact that this race occurs on several of its days a significant distance from civilization forces all the riders to get to know each other. The underlying Canadian spirit meshed with a common bond of suffering helps also in setting an atmosphere that I have not seen repeated elsewhere.

I have been asked many times which race is the best, or which race is the hardest. It is extremely hard to pick any one of these race as they all have their pluses and minuses. From my point of view, I guess that I have to say that this race has a special place in my heart as it was the first that I did and I have kept coming back. Next year, I guess, remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment