Friday, July 10, 2009

Tour TransAlp 2009: Day 3

Day 3 saw the 1100 riders in the 2009 Tour TransAlp head from Ischgl, Austriato Solden, the site of the opening events of the FIS Alpine World Cup. Once again the weather was stellar. (Profile here) Just like yesterday, the day started with a 20 km neutral start, only today it was all downhill. When we reached the first climb, the race would be on. As in past days, we discussed again whether it would be better at the front or the back of our start block as we descended the first 20 km. We elected for the back but as soon as we started it became abundantly clear to me that this was the wrong decision. So began a rather tiring next 90 minutes.

I headed for the front to avoid what I felt was a very dangerous situation as the neutral pack descended at close to 35 km/hr. Obstructions caused quick braking situations and I felt that it was way safer to be in front of the majority of riders than behind. Dave held back and we became separated. The first climb appeared and I was up it in a flash, immediately starting to gap out on the C block riders. Unfortunately, Dave was not with me and knowing we had well over 100 km ahead of us I pulled up and waited for Dave to appear. Minutes seemed to go by very slowly, and more and more of the riders that I knew passed me by. Where was Dave? Eventually it became clear that I was now seeing the very back of start block D and I knew that I must have missed seeing him go past. Oh My God, now comes the hammer as I have to try to bridge back to his group. Off I went full tilt, passing riders left and right for the remaining part of the climb, many times doing it cyclocross style by riding up the grass beside the road. Who says mountain biking skills cannot contribute to road racing results. Thankfully, I quickly hooked up with a very fast rider who had flatted on the downhill start and had even more distance to make up. Between the two of us pulling for 60 second bursts we, caught Dave and the rest of the TNA team as they started up the Pillerhohe 42 km in. What a way to start the day, and certainly not conducive to having a strong finish.

The Pillerhohe was one nasty climb with quite a few sections approaching 15% gradients. The temperature was very high and we started to see a great deal of suffering as the heat and the combined efforts of the past 2 days took its toll. Can you say tick, tick, tick, BOOM!!!! Dave was starting to get his legs and was really flying. It seemed it was all I could do to stay with him on the climbs. The next 30 km were over in a flash despite some roads on the down hills that seemed more suited to the mountain bike TransAlp than road racing. Eventually, all that remained was a long 40 km uphill slog into Solden. We put our heads down and pushed the pace as high as we dared pulling past several other trains as we approached the finish.
Once again as soon as we finished our great support team of Jeremy and Clive had the recovery drinks and roast chickens waiting. The daily pasta party saw then get an award for their efforts at helping not only us but any rider who needed assistance. Once again, thanks to all the volunteers who make these events happen! You know who you are. Tomorrow is hump day. The race will be one half over. (Results here)

No comments:

Post a Comment